A Cinematic Inquiry Into Desire and Class Dynamics
Renowned filmmaker Lee Chang-dong has returned with Possible Love, a multi-layered narrative examining class conflict, personal identity, and the ethics of storytelling. Ahead of its limited theatrical debut on September 23 and global Netflix launch on November 6, the production team held a press screening and conference at CGV Yongsan I'Park Mall in Seoul on September 21.
Director Lee attended the press conference alongside principal cast members Sol Kyung-gu, Zo In-sung, and Cho Yeo-jeong, while co-star Jeon Do-yeon joined remotely via video call.
The 164-minute feature centers on two contrasting married couples who cross paths through a documentary project. As a documentary director and her wealthy husband engage with a laid-off factory worker and his wife, hidden desires, envy, and systemic psychological scars gradually come to light.
International Acclaim and Cast Reflections
Possible Love arrives with major global recognition, having won the Silver Lion (Jury Grand Prix) at the 84th Venice International Film Festival and Best Director at the 51st Toronto International Film Festival.
"More than receiving awards, what mattered most was bringing this film into the world to meet audiences," Lee said during the conference. "I am glad and relieved that viewers resonated with the story we wanted to tell."
Zo recalled the memorable reception at Venice, noting that journalists unexpectedly approached the cast for autographs after the official press conference. "It was an austere setting, but as people suddenly swarmed over afterward, I thought we had done something wrong at first," Zo shared. "It was overwhelming and moving, and it made me feel the international standing of Korean cinema."
Sol candidly admitted to tearing up during the screening. "Watching the final scene where my character looks at the moon with Mi-ok, memories from the shoot flashed by like a panorama," Sol said with a smile. "I'm glad I let those tears out."
Character Studies in Class and Trauma
The film contrasts two couples from vastly different socioeconomic backgrounds, using their interactions to explore human worth and systemic pressure.
Jeon plays Mi-ok, a worker at a mask factory attempting to rebuild her life following the traumatic aftermath of a massive general strike. "Money and class can tear down or strip away a person's values," Jeon explained. "However, Mi-ok is someone who strives to protect her self-worth despite those forces."
Sol portrays her husband, Ho-seok, an ex-worker who continues to battle lingering trauma from the strike and its violent police suppression. "The psychological wounds following his termination were profound," Sol noted. "Having spent time in prison, he suffered from a shattered ego alongside shame, guilt, anger, and a deep sense of intimidation."
Zo plays Sang-woo, the affluent husband supporting his filmmaker wife. "Sang-woo represents capital," Zo remarked. "I believe money carries poison—it is a double-edged sword that can heal or hurt. I reflected that duality in my performance."
Cho takes on the role of Ye-ji, the documentary director striving to illuminate the lives of laid-off laborers. "I approached Ye-ji with a sense of craving—trying to capture through someone else's life what I couldn't fill in my own," Cho stated.
Ethical Storytelling and the Artist's Dilemma
For Director Lee, the project originated over a decade ago following a major corporate layoff incident in South Korea. Though initially hesitated due to concerns over creative entitlement, Lee found a narrative bridge by incorporating the documentary crew's perspective.
"For creators like myself who portray the lives of others, the fundamental question is always: 'Can I tell their stories without consuming or exploiting their lives?'" Lee reflected. "I have pondered this question my entire career and haven't found an easy answer."
The film incorporates documentary-style sequences, including extended archive-style strike footage and detailed therapy sessions with affected workers.
"It might feel long, but I wanted to convey their experiences like an actual documentary," Lee added. "While it is a story of two couples, it is also about people who lost their identity and felt an inner emptiness after their livelihoods were destroyed by labor issues."
Why this matters: South Korean cinema frequently tackles industrial disputes and class disparity, reflecting long-standing socio-economic tensions within the nation's rapid modernization.
Possible Love will open in select theaters on September 23 before streaming worldwide on Netflix starting November 6.
https://www.dispatch.co.kr/2348231
.png)
0 Comments
This space aims to broaden the debate on the subject addressed in the news, democratically and respectfully. Comments that violate laws and ethical and moral principles or that promote illegal or criminal activities will not be accepted. Therefore, slanderous, defamatory, prejudiced, offensive, aggressive comments, those that use foul language, incite violence, express hate speech or contain links will be summarily deleted.